The Australian Resources & Energy Employer Association (AREEA) is pleased to announce Bill Townsend, Senior Vice President Corporate at INPEX, has joined its Board of Directors.
Mr Townsend is a well-known and highly respected energy industry executive, with over 25 years of international experience in the oil and gas sector.
For the past 17 years Mr Townsend has led INPEX’s growing presence in Australia, having been involved in the landmark Ichthys LNG project offshore Darwin from its inception and development through to production.
Prior to joining INPEX he worked in senior management positions for Woodside and BP, both locally and abroad.
AREEA Chief Executive Steve Knott AM said Mr Townsend would be a welcome addition to the national employer group’s Board of Directors.
“Bill Townsend is one of the most passionate and knowledgeable energy sector executives in the country,” Mr Knott said, announcing the appointment before 300+ attendees at AREEA’s West Coast Gala Dinner at Optus Stadium in Perth last Thursday (31 August).
“Bill’s energy and enthusiasm for best practice across community, workforce, operations and more, will be an asset to AREEA as we enter our 106th year representing Australia’s diverse resources and energy industry.”
Hear Bill Townsend talk about the Ichthys LNG Project – one of the most complex engineering projects ever undertaken in Australia – at this Resource People Podcast episode.
About AREEA’s Board
AREEA is the largest and most diverse national employer group for the Australian resources and energy industry.
Its members include employers in hard rock and critical minerals mining, oil and gas, coal, smelting, refining, transport, logistics, engineering and all other supply and servicing sectors.
As of September 2023 the AREEA Board comprises:
- Tom Quinn (AREEA President)
- Stuart Mathews (AREEA Vice President), Executive Vice President Australasia – Gold Fields Australasia
- Julie Fallon (AREEA Vice President), Executive Vice President Corporate Services, Woodside Energy Limited
- Johnpaul Dimech, Zone President APMEA, Brazil and LatAm; Region CEO, APMEA, Sodexo
- Maria Sanz Perez, Chief Legal, Risk and Compliance Officer & Company Secretary, Newcrest Mining
- Jo Taylor, Managing Director, Compass Group Australia
- Bill Townsend, Senior Vice President Corporate, INPEX
- Ulysses Yiannis, Human Resources Manager Asia-Pacific, ExxonMobil Australia